What Makes MSC Unique?
I get asked this question a lot, What makes the Men’s Shelter of Charlotte (MSC) unique? Here’s five characteristics that illustrate the uniqueness of MSC…
1. MSC refuses to label people or make people fit a pre-defined programmatic mold. Instead, we work with each person to determine their needs and then help them design their own plan to meet those needs.
2. Our equation: Income + Housing + Support = An End to Homelessness. At MSC, we are laser-focused on applying our equation to each man seeking our support. It takes all three “legs” of the equation to help someone successfully leave the shelter and end their homeless experience.
3. Our people. MSC has a truly dedicated staff, a committed board, and an enormous cadre of passionate volunteers. It does truly take a village…and what a village we have!
4. Community support. MSC is blessed with tremendous support from ALL aspects of our community – congregations, local government, foundations, businesses, and citizens.
5. Our mission and vision. Everything we do at MSC is defined by our mission to provide safe emergency shelter while working to end homelessness for each man. We put this into practice each day with every decision we make. MSC is committed to being a catalyst for systemic change to end homelessness in our community. Often this means putting the greater good of the community first, which we’re happy to do when it means our community then comes one step closer to ending homelessness for all citizens.
In other words, MSC is all about solutions! For the people we serve and with the support and partnership of everyone throughout the community. Together, we can and will end homelessness! That’s what makes the Men’s Shelter of Charlotte unique!