All on-site volunteer opportunities are temporarily suspended. Please continue to check back for additional updates on volunteering.
We currently have multiple off-site volunteer opportunities available and our need is great! Find opportunities and sign up here (note, you will be redirected to an Urban Ministry Center webpage until our new website is up and running!)
It’s hard to get through the day when you’re experiencing homelessness, and it’s even harder to do so when you are hungry. Join our meal brigade and bring and/or serve a meal for our shelter guests! This opportunity is for groups of 4-8 people.
Three ways you can help!
- Bring food and serve
- Bring food “ready-to-serve” OR bring all the ingredients and supplies to prepare on-site in our kitchen. If you bring a pork dish, please also supply a non-pork option.
- Be prepared to provide for:
- TRYON: 200 guests.
- STATESVILLE: 170 guests.
- The Statesville Avenue Shelter does not have a kitchen. Food for Statesville must be “ready-to-serve.”
- Serve-only (Available Monday-Friday only. Weekend groups must bring food or financially sponsor).
- Serve a meal that our shelter has prepared.
- Financially Sponsor
- We are grateful to groups that sponsor a meal at $500.
- Our culinary team can purchase the food and you can help with the menu.
- Breakfast Monday – Friday 5:30am-7:00am (Saturday-Sunday, 6:30am – 8:00am)
- Lunch: 11:30am-1:00pm
- Dinner: 5:30pm-7:00pm
1210 North Tryon Street or 3410 Statesville Avenue (28206).
Some Additional Information
- Meal service is a group opportunity for groups of 4 or more people.
- Groups that volunteer for meal brigade on weekends must either bring food with them or financially sponsor. Serve-Only groups are scheduled Monday-Friday.
- We recommend 12 years of age and older. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Respect for guests experiencing homelessness.
- Enjoy working with diversity of people.
- Ability to stand for periods of time.